The Portuguese Cousins
Just after the English Electric Co. had finished building the fifties they had an order for 10 nearly identical locomotives from Portuguese Railways
Just after the English Electric Co. had finished building the fifties they had an order for 10 nearly identical locomotives from Portuguese Railways (CP) but built for CP's Iberian gauge 1,668 mm (5 ft 5in) and larger loading gauge.
These locomotives were also built at Newton Le Willows and equipped with an English Electric 16 CSVT engine, but they used less electronics, using a more conventional control system. When delivered they were the only diesel locomotives in Portugal authorised to run at 140 km/h (87 mph). CP numbered them 1801 to 1810.
Initially the 1800s were used on the express services on the main line between Barreiro (near Lisbon) and Faro. After that line was electrified the locomotives were moved to take over Inter Regional services in the Algarve. They were also used on the steeply-graded Beira Alta line.
All 1800s were withdrawn in 2001, and one was donated to the national collection. All others have since been scrapped - with some parts being recovered back to the UK by class 50 preservation groups.